Morse Recreation Center Planning
A new recreation center is planned at Morse Community Park, 5540 Bellaterra Drive in the East Franklin community. The park was built in 2008 with a three-acre site reserved for the building.
In November 2020, the Cosumnes CSD Board approved the Morse Recreation Center Business and Operations Plan, a funding plan, and authorized staff to seek an architect to design the facility.
In April 2021, Barker Rinker Seacat Architecture (BRS) was selected as the architect after a competitive RFP process involving 11 architects.
The recreation center opening date is estimated for early 2024, after 16 months of design and 17 months of construction.
Morse Recreation Center Design
The preliminary design concept includes a two-story, approximately 50,000-square-foot building emphasizing health and wellness amenities, based on input from 1,100 residents.
BRS will design a sustainable facility which addresses the Cosumnes CSD's Climate Action Plan/Sustainability Action Plan. The design will meet the State of California CalGreen Building Code which emphasizes reduction of Green House Gases.
Upcoming Design Workshops
Cosumnes CSD will hold two community outreach workshops for the design of the recreation center.
Workshop #1 - Initial Design Review- Completed
- Held Tuesday, September 21, online and in person at Franklin High School STEAM Academy classroom.
- This workshop provided a design overview, including previous community involvement used to identify programming, how programming informs building design, and building options. Initial design concept was presented for community feedback.
- Cosumnes CSD received valuable project feedback from residents during the meeting. To add your comments, please submit a comment in the form below by October 6, 2021.
- Public Comment Form
Workshop #2 - Final Design Recommendation
- Thursday, November 4
- 6:30 PM
- In-person*: Franklin High School, STEAM Academy Classroom, 6400 Whitelock Pkwy (map)
- Online: Link coming soon...
- This workshop will include final design recommendations including community feedback. Residents will learn about next steps for design approval and construction.
* In-person meetings are contingent on COVID-19 restrictions. Please check this webpage prior to the meeting for the latest update.
- Email List - Join the Morse Recreation Center email list. This is the best way to stay engaged and informed throughout the process.
- Social Media - Stay informed on the latest news regarding the Morse Recreation Center by following our social media sites.
- Directly contact the Deputy Project Manager Fred Bremerman, via email or phone (916-405-5300) for any additional information.
Frequently Asked Questions
To help answer questions that commonly are asked, the Cosumnes CSD has compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions.