A majority of calls the Cosumnes Fire Department responds to are not fires, but medical calls. Cosumnes Fire Department would like to share tips to encourage everyone to be heart healthy.
How to Have a Healthy Heart
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. It is important to stay heart healthy.
- Find out if you have high blood pressure or cholesterol, and if you do, get effective treatment.
- Get some physical activity for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week.
- If you smoke, get help to quit.
- Make your calories count by eating a heart-healthy diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables and low in sodium and trans fat.
Heart Attack Symptoms
It is important to know the signs of an impending heart attack. Signs may start slowly and symptoms may seem mild. According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, these are the signs that may mean a heart attack is in progress:
- Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It may feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms may include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw, or stomach.
- Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea, or feeling lightheaded.
- Shortness of breath may occur with or without chest discomfort.
The Cosumnes Fire Department is committed to health and wellness. As always please call 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.