Cosumnes Community Services District (District) serves an estimated 205,000 south Sacramento County residents in a 157-square mile area. It is a regional agency that provides fire protection and emergency medical services for the cities of Elk Grove and Galt, as well as unincorporated areas of south Sacramento County. Its award-winning parks and recreation services – including the operation of more than 90 parks – operate exclusively within the Elk Grove community.
- Mission: To enhance the quality of life for those residing in, doing business in and visiting the community. The Cosumnes CSD strives to provide balanced services to all areas of the community, while being responsive to individuals.
- Vision: A regional leader dedicated to providing superior fire, emergency medical, and parks and recreation services that enrich community and save lives.
- Administrative Services Department
- Fire Department
- Parks and Recreation Department
- Award-winning parks and facilities
- Disaster preparedness programs
- Emergency Medical Services
- Fire and life safety education
- Fire and rescue response
- Preschools, after-school programs and year-round camps
- School and business safety inspections
- Specialty classes for children, teens and adults
- Sports leagues, classes, camps
- Swim lessons and aquatics programs
The District, located in California’s Central Valley in the southern portion of Sacramento County, is four miles south of the Sacramento City limits, 92 miles east of San Francisco, and 379 miles north of Los Angeles. The District is the largest community services district in California encompassing 157 square-miles.
The Cosumnes Community Services District is a political subdivision of the State of California guided by a five-member elected Board of Directors. Its jurisdiction lies in the 3rd and 5th Congressional Districts, the 10th and 15th State Assembly Districts, and the 1st and 5th State Senate Districts. Learn more about the values of community services districts (PDF).
- Ensure its financial stability and accountability.
- Ensure transparency in all District operations.
- Make safety a priority in all operations.
- Provide exceptional service to customers.
- Provide quality facilities, parks, and apparatus.
- Provide services, programs, and facilities based on the distinct needs of the community.
The rich history of the Cosumnes Community Services District (District) dates back 127 years to the establishment of three districts: the Elk Grove Fire Protection District (1893), the Galt Fire Protection District (1921), and the Elk Grove Recreation and Park District (1936), which combined in two phases. In 1985, the Elk Grove Fire Protection District and Recreation and Park District merged to form the Elk Grove Community Services District. The Galt Fire Protection District merged with the Elk Grove Community Services District in 2006 to form today’s District, which takes its name from the nearby Cosumnes River. Organization Chart (PDF)
The Cosumnes Community Services District Administration Building suffered significant fire damage on February 20, 2015. This 94-year-old building was a familiar landmark in the community. The building was renovated and reopened in 2019. Learn more.